4.09 ELIGIBILITY FOR EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Students are encouraged to be involved in school related activities. Athletics/activities are a privilege and not a right therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to maintain his/her eligibility.
High School students, alternative education students, and 7th & 8th students who participate in the SDHSAA sanctioned contests will comply with SDHSAA rules and regulations.
The Athletic Director shall be responsible for providing the most current rules and regulations to principals, coaches, students and parents.
To be eligible for participation in extra-curricular athletics/activities, students must meet the following criteria:
1. Age: The student must not have attained the age of 20 years at the time of participation.
2. Enrollment: Must have enrolled not later than the sixteenth school day of the current semester.
3. Eight Semester: A student shall be eligible for four first semesters and four second semesters of interscholastic competition which shall run consecutively commencing with the student’s enrollment as a freshman.
4. Scholastic/Academic Eligibility Rule:
a. Preceding semester. To remain eligible, student must successfully pass seven (7) classes per semester and maintain a minimum of a 2.0 average.
5. For purposes of Scholastic/Academic eligibility, all of the work for an incomplete grade or grade change must be made up successfully by the student, presented to the teacher and accepted by the teacher, graded and the grade change submitted to the counseling office and entered on the official transcript within two weeks of the end of a semester. Immediate notice of compliance will be provided to the Athletic Director.
a. Current semester. Students shall be enrolled and attend seven (7) classes or classes. Seniors who have met all graduation requirements shall comply with SDHSAA eligibility rules.
b. Credit recovery can be used to make up eligibility for athletics only in cases of proven medical need.
6. All students who will represent Little Wound School in any extra-curricular activity must have their name appear on the School's Master Eligibility List prior to their participation.
7. Attendance: Students must be in compliance with the LWS attendance policies.
8. Any student who is suspended for disciplinary reasons shall be ineligible to participate in extra-curricular activities throughout the duration of their suspension period.
9. Students may be in more than one activity if permission is first obtained from coach, advisor (sponsor), Athletic Director, Principal, and teacher.
10. Students are responsible for any equipment or uniforms provided to her/him. Any lost, stolen, or broken equipment not returned at the completion of the activity will forfeit the student's right to awards, letters, and further participation in future activities until uniforms and/or equipment is returned or is paid for in full.
11. Being ineligible to participate in an activity does not constitute ineligibility to practice.
12. All students shall sign interscholastic rules/team rules and comply with the rules.