About Our School
Little Wound School is a K-12 school located in Kyle on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in southwestern South Dakota.
Named after one of the great Oglala Sioux leaders, Chief Little Wound (Taopi Cikala) who believed education was the answer to a better future for his people led others to bring that vision into reality and led the construction of a seven classroom building in 1934. This structure was destroyed by fire in 1938. Another structure was built and is still in use today. In the early 70s additional classrooms were constructed. A new high school was built and opened its doors in 1982. The architecture of this building resembles the buffalo both on its exterior and interior. A temporary Middle School was built by the school in 1993 to house the overcrowding.
In 1972 Little Wound School became a K-12 school and graduated the first high school senior class of four.
Prior to 1977 the school was operated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. In 1977, the school board took control of the educating their students through a P.L. 93-638 contract and in the 1980s changed to a grant school under P.L. 100-297. Today the school is the largest tribal grant school funded under the Bureau of Indian Education.
Little Wound School is accredited by AdvancED and the State of South Dakota.
Enrollment average a total of approximately 900 student annually. Ninety-eight percent of this population is Native American and 100% are eligible for free or reduced lunch. Thirty-three percent are transported to school traveling up to 60 miles one way.